Monetary policy, financial stability & economic history
- In February and April 2021, I’ll present new research on the economic effects of protectionism at APEBH 2021 and at EHS Annual Conference 2021.
- In December 2020, I was invited to become a research affiliate in the economic history programme of CEPR.
- My JMP is now available as ESRB Working Paper 113/2020.
- In April 2021, I’ll present my research at the weekly research seminar organized by the Department of Economics at the Graduate Institute Geneva (IHEID) (c.f. Presentations).
- In November 2020, I’ll be discussing work by Aleksander Berentsen, Hugo van Buggenum and Romina Ruprecht at the Banca d’Italia and SUERF Workshop (“The effectiveness of monetary policy in a low interest rate environment”, c.f. Presentations).
- In January 2021, I’ll be discussing work by Alain Naef at ASSA (Cliometric Society session, c.f. Presentations).
- In September 2020, Phillipp Gnan and I will present our joint research at the Bank for International Settlements’ internal research seminar (c.f. Presentations).
- In September 2020, I’ll be chairing the session “English and French Money Troubles” at the 2020 Economic History Association Meetings.
- In July 2020, I’ll be presenting my research (joint with P. Gnan) at the Central Bank of Ireland’s internal research seminar (c.f. Presentations).
- In July 2020, I’ll be presenting my research at the NBER Summer Institute Development of the American Economy Program (c.f. Presentations).
- In April 2020, I wrote a column for the VoxEU CEPR Policy Portal: Mitigating COVID-19 panic buying: Lessons from historical financial crises.
- In March 2020, I finished a new policy working paper surveying the literature on the economics of monetary policy decision-making by committee, with a view to the ongoing ECB Strategy Review. The paper can be downloaded here (c.f. Policy papers).
- I recently updated my syllabus for Applied Economics (a class serving as an introduction to causal inference for advanced undergrad or grad students). Check it out here: Applied Economics Summer Term 2020.
- In June 2020, I will present my research at the 2020 Spring Meeting of Young Economists in Bologna (c.f. Presentations, postponed to June 2021)
- In January 2020, I will give a research kick-off presentation for the South-Eastern Monetary History Network (SEEMHN) at the Bulgarian National Bank (c.f. Presentations).
- In November 2019, I was awarded a research grant by the science and research funding arm of the City of Vienna to kick-start a new research project on the role of financial network topology during the Gründerkrach of 1873.
- In December 2019, I’ll be discussing the paper “Bank Capital Redux: Solvency, Liquidity, and Crisis?” by Jordà et al. at the Fourth Annual ECB Macroprudential Policy and Research Conference (c.f. Presentations).
- In November 2019, I’ll be presenting my JMP at the Ninth Workshop on Banks and Financial Markets in Vienna (c.f. Presentations).
- In December 2019, I’ll present my job market project at the NOeG Winter Workshop in Vienna (c.f. Presentations).
- In January 2020, I’ll be discussing work by Ellis Tallman and Eugene White at ASSA in San Diego (Cliometric Society session, c.f. Presentations).
- In August 2019, my Job Market Paper was shortlisted for the Ieke van den Burg Prize 2019 by the Advisory Scientific Committee of the ESRB.
- I will present my research as part of the external seminar series of Vienna University’s Department of Finance and JKU’s Department of Economics (c.f. Presentations).
- I will present my research on central bank credit rationing (co-authored with Mike Anson, David Bholat and Ryland Thomas, all Bank of England) at AFSE 2019 Annual Meeting in Orléans (June 2019, c.f. Presentations).
- I will present my JMP project at the 2nd CEPR Endless Summer Conference in Financial Intermediation and Corporate Finance in Athens (September 2019, c.f. Presentations).
- In March 2019, my JMP project was awarded the Theodor Körner Prize.
- I will present my JMP at the 2019 CEBRA Annual Meeting (Central Bank Research Association) in New York (July 2019, c.f. Presentations).
- I will present my JMP at the NOeG 2019 Annual Conference (Annual Meeting of the Austrian Economic Association) in April 2019 (c.f. Presentations).
- JMP update: I am currently in the process of uploading some new material illustrating my findings and my identification strategy focusing on the split states in my sample. You can find these maps and graphs here: My JMP in maps.
- I will present my JMP at the Federal Reserve Board of Governors in Washington D.C. and the SAFE House of Finance in Frankfurt in May 2019 (c.f. Presentations).
- In October 2018, my dissertation was awarded the Michael Mitterauer Prize.
- In July 2018, I was nominated as a finalist for the Economic History Association’s (EHA) Alexander Gerschenkron Prize for best dissertation in the economic history of an area outside of the United States or Canada.
- In 2017, my doctoral research was awarded the Economic History Society (EHS) New Researcher Prize (see my CV for other awards and scholarships).
Any views expressed on this website exclusively represent those of the author and do not reflect the official viewpoint of the Oesterreichische Nationalbank, the ECB or the Eurosystem.